Friday 24 October 2014

24th October 1914 
During the week I paid visits to a Chemist's shop. The two were very kind and I had a good look round the shop and read a few prescriptions which I translated into English and explained the weights etc. The French use solutions in %, ie metric system, a much simpler method than the one we use. A remarkable thing is that no toilet or photographic requisites are sold but only dispensing is carried out. They offered me some Spanish wine which certainly was very nice as was also the manner they toasted “Vive L’Angleterre”.

Visited a Barber and had my haircut, ½ franc. Le Capitaine was being shaved. The place was well furnished, upholstered sofas and chairs and papers on table. The convolutions of, the barbers were most elaborate, very precise and effective. Too effeminate for my taste. A very wet evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment